PPG SigmaDur 550 is a high performance, 2 pack aliphatic acrylic polyurethane paint for steel that offers excellent colour and gloss retention when exposed to UV light and has been approved by Highways HA Item 168.
PPG SigmaDur 550 formerly Amercoat 450E or Amercoat 450S is a high performance, durable, two component, aliphatic, acrylic, polyurethane coating that offers excellent colour and gloss retention when exposed to UV light and has been approved by Highways HA Item 168. Part of the Wims specification Water Information Management Solution and NORSOK M-501.
PPG Protective and Marine Coatings is a world leading brand name that provides protective, marine coatings on a global scale. SigmaDur 550 is part of this fantastic range that can be applied to a number of surfaces based in a marine and industrial environment including bridges, pipelines, refineries, tanks and storage facilities. SigmaDur 550 is a non yellowing product, highly resistant to weathering and UV light and works best when exposed to atmospheric conditions.
PPG SigmaDur 550 is best applied by airless sprayer but can be applied using paint brush or roller. This remarkable product from the Sigma range offers a fast curing time of just 1 hour to touch and can be recoated after a minimum period of 6 hours has elapsed. SigmaDur 550 can be used to achieve a theoretical coverage rate of 11m2 per litre.
Surface and Environment
PPG SigmaDur 550 is an industry leading product, used worldwide for protecting steel structures in a marine based environment and is highly durable for up to 10 years, saving you money on maintenance cost as well as time. Not only is SigmaDur 550 resistant to weathering but also works to protect the coating against chemicals and splash from oils, paraffins and aliphatic petroleum products commonly found in a marine/industrial environment.
- LuL APR No. 1151 - XM92/M24 Coating System for Maintenance Steel for application to bridges and structures to provide a minimum expected service life of 25 years when spot blast cleaned to Sa 2½ or 15 years when power tool cleaned to St 3. This paint system consists of an epoxy primer (SigmaCover 690), an epoxy buildcoat (SigmaCover 456 HS) and a finish coat which may be either a polyurethane gloss (SigmaDur 550), a polyurethane semi-gloss (SigmaDur 520) or an epoxy acrylic gloss (SigmaDur 540).
- LuL APR No. 1150 - N13 Coating System for Steelwork for Interior Environments to provide a minimum expected service life of 25 years. This paint system consists of a zinc phosphate primer, Sigma EP 111, an epoxy MIO finish coat, Sigma EP 112, and a topcoat which may be either a polyurethane gloss (SigmaDur 550), a polyurethane semi-gloss, (SigmaDur 520) or an epoxy acrylic gloss (SigmaDur 540).
- LuL APR No. 1147 - N9 & N9 (XN90) Coating System for New Works for application to bridges and structures to provide a minimum expected service life of 25 years. This paint system consists of an epoxy primer (SigmaCover 280) followed by either a polyurethane gloss (SigmaDur 550) or an epoxy acrylic gloss (SigmaDur 540) topcoat finish.
- NORSOK M-501
- Highways Item No.168
- HAPAS Certification
- Network Rail System N1 at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System N2 (XN90) at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System N4 (XN90) at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System N9 at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System N13 at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System M20 (XM92) at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System M21 (XM92) at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System M24 (XM92) at 50 microns DFT
- Network Rail System M34 (XM92) at 50 microns DFT
PPG SigmaDur 550 is used within the following PPG systems:
- PPG 3102 System - Systems For Boot Top and Topside
- PPG 3103 System - Systems For Decks
- PPG 3104 System - Systems For Superstructure and Deck Fittings
- PPG 3105 System - Systems For Interiors
- PPG 3108 System - Miscellaneous Systems (Below Gratings, Engine Room, Void Spaces, Chain Lockers, Behind Ceilings and Linings, Woodwork etc)
See Data Sheets tab for System sheet downloadable PDF.
- PPG SigmaDur 550 formerly known as Amercoat 450E
- A durable two component aliphatic acrylic polyurethane
- It offers excellent colour and gloss retention when exposed to UV
- SigmaDur 550 is non-chalking and non-yellowing
- Up to 10 years durability
- SigmaDur 550 offers a gloss finish
- Part of the Wims specification Water Information Management Solution
|Type:||Aliphatic Acrylic Polyurethane|
|Tintable:||Yes, upon request. Please note, bespoke tints are non refundable / exchangeable|
|VOC Content:||430.0g per Litre|
|Suitable Substrates:||For external concrete, steel, structural steel|
|Application Method:||Brush, Roller, Air Atomised Spray or Airless Spray|
|Theoretical Coverage:||11.0 m2 per litre at 50 microns|
|Wet Film Thickness (WFT):|
|Dry Film Thickness (DFT):||50 - 60 microns|
|Pot Life:||5 hours at 20°C|
|Touch Dry:||1 hour at 20°C|
|Overcoatable:||After 6 hours at 20°C|
|Fully Cured:||4 days at 20°C|
|Cleaner / Thinner:||PPG Thinner 21-06|
|Shelf Life:||Base: 36 months, Hardener: 24 months when stored cool and dry|
|Packaging:||Available in 4 Litres|
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.