PPG Steelguard 581 is a quick drying, fire protection coating for structural steel surfaces.
PPG Steelguard 581 is a one component, thin-film, water-borne, intumescent coating designed for providing fire protection to structural steelwork in an industrial environment.
PPG Steelguard 581 has been tested to national and international standards and can be used in dry, internal environments without the use of a protective topcoat. Steelguard 581 is an excellent fire resistant product that provides up to 120 minutes of protection from cellulosic fires. It provides a surface with 12 months of weather resistance, when no topcoat is used (providing the structure is not immersed in water or exposed to high humidity).
PPG Steelguard 581 intumescent coating can be applied using an airless spray for optimum performance (a brush should only be used for touch ups and small tricky areas). Steelguard 581 should not be applied below 5 or above 50 degrees celsius, to ensure proper surface adhesion. Steelguard 581 is a quick-dry formula; drying in 2 hours and can be recoated after 16 hours, in conditions of around 20 degrees celsius.
Surface and Environment
PPG Steelguard 581 can be applied on-site or off-site. When dry, it produces a high quality, white/grey matt, protective coating, that can be used internally or externally to ensure structural steel has the utmost fire protection.
- One component thin-film, waterborne, intumescent coating for fire protection of structural steelwork
- Provides up to 60 minutes protection from cellulosic fires
- 60 minutes SCI assessment of beams with circular web openings
- On or off-site application
- Up to 700 μ dft in a single coat
- Suitable for C1 and C2 internal environments (ISO 12944); for dry internal (C1) environments no topcoat is required
- Tested to BS 476 and certified with the national requirements
- Theoretical spreading rate 1.0m sq/l 700 μm
- Touch dry after 2 hours
- Overcoating interval: min. 16 hours