Please note, this product is now discontinued. See PPG SigmaShield 880 or International Interzone 954 as potential alternatives.
3M Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 is a surface tolerant anti corrosive coating for steel bridges, gantries and roofs.
Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 has been specifically developed as a surface tolerant anti corrosive coating for steel structures such as bridges, gantries and roofs, 172 has been developed to replace 152LV and 152LVAS and is suitable for application by brush or airless spray. Approved by Network Rail for application to station steelwork including roofs metal flooring and steel panels on walls and any other trackside equipment.
Best Uses / Surfaces
As with the Scotchkote 152LV and 152LVAS the new Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 offers corrosion protection for up to 25 years. Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 is a surface tolerant coating meaning that it can be applied to manually prepared surfaces although a shot blasted surface is preferable and also conforms to Network Rail RT98 and London Underground (LUL) Section 12 approvals.
3M Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 has been specifically designed for application using airless spray, however a brush may be used for smaller areas of application which may be tricky to do with a spray gun. Theoretical coverage rate is 2.5m2 per litre, assuming the correct film thickness is achieved, whilst you should ensure you leave a minimum of 16 hours drying time where temperatures are 18 degrees celsius or above.
- LuL APR Reg No. 3246 - Surface tolerant coating for the corrosion protection of structural steel, potentially giving over 25 years of protection. Surface tolerant coating suitable for application to abrasive blast-cleaned surfaces, hand or power tool cleaned surfaces and sound, aged alkyd paints. NR/L3/CIV/039 certified (M34, XM90/N4 and XM92/M24) to give 25 years minimum service life on SA2.5 (shotblasted) or ST3 (manually prepared steel) and 15 years minimum on previously coated sound surfaces. Complies with LU Standard 1-085 'Fire Safety Performance of Materials' and can be used in below ground stations as a single coat system (maximun coating thickness for underground use is 250 microns wet / dry). For above ground use an optional 50 micron coat of Scotchkote Urethane Coating XF 129 can be applied if UV resistance is required.
- Scotchkote Epoxy Coating 172 is a surface tolerant, it combines good application characteristics with excellent corrosion protection and chemical resistance
- Is designed for application by airless spray and brush application
- Adhesion - Excellent to both blast cleaned and mechanically prepared surfaces
- Corrosion Resistance - Excellent even under sea water immersion conditions
- Chemical Resistance - Unaffected by short term contact with most industrial chemicals
- Temperature Resistance - Suitable for use up to 100° C. dry heat
- Theoretical Coverage Rate 2.5 sq m per litre at 400 microns dft.
- Touch dry 16 hours
- Available in 5 Liters
- Colours available: Grey.
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.