If you have wood that hasn’t been treated, it more than likely will end up turning grey, as well as getting covered in all sorts of dirt and rubbish. Before you make any kind of attempt to apply a finish to it, it’s important to use a wood cleaner on the surface in order to remove all of this dirt, as well as restore the original colour. Additionally, it will also help the finish get worked into the wood really well, especially since dirt can generally prevent something like this from being applied very well.
What Other Tools Do I Need?
Here are some of the other useful tools that you can utilize when it comes to using a wood cleaner:
- A nylon brush or broom that has stiff bristles
- A synthetic roller or brush
How Exactly Do I Clean My Untreated Wood?
This is a question that a lot of people ask on many different occasions. Here is the exact process that you need to follow:
- Wet down the entire surface with clean water, preferably from a hose or pressure washer if possible
- Using either a synthetic roller or brush, apply the wood cleaner to the surface
- Use a nylon broom or brush to scrub the surface and work the cleaner in well
- Let the wood cleaner sit on the surface for approximately 10 to 20 minutes
- Whilst rinsing the surface with water with either a hose or pressure washer, scrub the surface at the same time
- Repeat this process again if it is necessary for you to do so
- Allow the surface to dry for no less than 48 hours before applying any kind of a finish
Wood Cleaner Tips
Here are some useful tips to make note of for the actual wood cleaner itself:
- Prior to using it, thoroughly shake the container
- Cover any surface areas that you wish to protect
- If you have any plants or shrubs, ensure that you give them plenty of water
- Always apply the surfaces between outdoor temperatures of 5 degrees Celsius and 35 degrees Celsius
- Never apply wood cleaner on a hot surface, as the product will dry a lot more quickly
- If you apply the cleaner on vertical wood planks, work from the bottom to the top in order to avoid streaking
See the full range of Owatrol Products available from Promain here