Tests conducted by Owatrol International on a project in Sweden showed how Owatrol Corrosion Inhibiting Primer protected a rusted barge ballast tank from further degradation. It is compatible with any harsh environment, especially seawater. You can apply it on both new and surfaces that suffer from rust.
Applying Corrosion Inhibiting Primer on Surfaces of a Cargo Ship
The only prep it will require on surfaces involves removal of loose rust flakes. To go through this minimal task, you may need a pressure gun, of about 500 kBar to get rid of grime, previous paint and dirt.
Standard Owatrol CIP Application Process
Start by preparing the surface. Proceed to applying Owatrol CIP. However, for defaced surfaces, you may need to follow a slightly different process:
- For new surfaces, use a single coat of Owatrol CIP. If the surface is in aggressive climatic conditions, add another layer.
- For stainless or new unpainted rusty steel, use a double coat of Owatrol CIP on the surfaces.
- Severely rusted surfaces you may need to apply three coats of Owatrol CIP. Alternatively, using wet on wet method, use three coats of Owatrol Oil, until the affected surface saturates. Give it 24 hours to dry, and then apply a double coat of Owatrol CIP.
- Previously painted surfaces need to be spot primed, using a double layer of Owatrol CIP. Add another layer on the surface, after a while.
- Protecting surfaces with Owatrol Corrosion Inhibiting Primer ensures that rust is kept away, prolonging the life of metallic surfaces.
For more Owatrol products from Promain view these:
- Owatrol Exterior Wood
- Flooring Protection From Owatrol
- Interior Wood Coatings From Owatrol
- Metal Coatings From Owatrol
Want to read more info on Owatrol? Have a look at these: