Imagine your garden area and patio were made of wood and the view was just outstanding and you thoroughly loved to just sit outside and take it all in. Well when winter comes around and then repeats another cycle with winter and summer your area near the garden could take a big hit. You may find your patio is dirty. There is nothing to fret about though because there is still hope. All you have to do to fix the problems is get protective treatments that you apply to the area and weathered wood which will make the end result simply beautiful. Carefully prepare everything and it can be super easy.
You need to clean the wood of course
You cannot apply your finishing agent until you have completely wiped down and cleaned your wood. If you apply your finishing agent on top of dirt and grime it will not hold and stick well to your wood. This finish will basically give your wood a new look and feel. You can accomplish this very easily and swiftly with Net-Trol wood cleaner. Here are a few things to do to get started:
- Wet the surface you intend to clean with fresh water.
- Find a brush with hard bristles and use it to apply finish of Owatrol Net-trol.
- Allow to product to work on the surface for between 10 to minutes.
- When the time is up, scrub and clean the top of the wood while you let water drain over and rinse the wood off.
- On completion allow the surface to completely dry.
- Next you will use the Owatrol Textrol Penetrating Oil.
Next you will use the Textrol penetrating oil
This Owatrol Textrol Penetrating Oil will give your wood a very natural look. Textrol actually deeply seeps into the top of the wood and helps protect it from further weathering and from UV’s beaming down from the sun along with protecting it from moisture in the air.
- Below will be an explanation of the application for Textrol Penetrating Oil.
- Clean the wood surface with Owatrol Net-Trol as described above and allow them to completely dry for at least 2 -3 days.
- Using a brush or roller apply a coat of Textrol and allow it to soak into the surface for 15-30 minutes.
- Apply a second coat of Textrol in the same way as the first. Again allow to soak in for 15-30 minutes.
- When applying Textrol coats must be applied in a wet on wet application. This means the oil should not dry between coats. Work in areas you can complete within 10-15 minutes.
- Generally new timber will require a 3rd coat. With Textrol penetrating oils continue to apply coats until the oils in no longer absorbed into the timber. The oils will sit on the surface a bead once the timber after saturation. Once this occurred wipe the excess and allow to dry.
Here are a few tips
- Apply this product, Textrol wet to wet not dry on dry. Which basically is telling you do not allow the wood to let the oil dry between coats.
- Do not use the product if wet weather is likely.
- Cover the entire piece of the board or horizontal pieces such as your doors framing or a window.
- Do not stop coating in the middle posting of a piece of wood or a fence piece.
- If you are painting vertical pieces of siding or even gates you should always coat and cover those from their tops to theirs bottoms.
- If you have to use a spraying method for Textrol make sure to go back over with the back-brush effect so you can make sure the oil has made its way through the wood.
- Gary (Managing director at Owatrol UK) proclaims “Textrol is not a top coat, it is meant to be in the wood not on top. Textrol protects wood by making its way through the wood and creating a matt like finish.”
You have very many things to choose from when choosing a finish you want to use for wood and that is dependent on what kind of look you want from it. If you wanted something with an opaque colour to it, then we would suggest trying Solid Colour Stain or even a decking paint, for a hardwood look on your deck it is recommend to try Deks Olje D1 and if you would like a water-based finish we think Aquadecks is suitable.