The Traditional Paint Company Pure Linseed Oil Paint is a solvent free highly flexible and durable paint with a gloss finish ideal for the protection of woodwork.
The Traditional Paint Company pure linseed oil paint is formulated from pure boiled linseed oil which is then combined with pigments for colouring and drying additives. This makes for an extremely environmentally friendly product. The paint has excellent opacity with a high resistance to water, it also extremely flexible making it resistant to crack or splitting over time. These combined attribute make for a highly durable and long lasting coating with a gloss finish.
Due to its natural and traditional formulation Pure Linseed oil paint is not available in vibrant bright colours, but is available in black white and most pastel tones. We can also colour match this product to most RAL, BS and NCS colour codes. Another effect of this natural formulation is an extending drying time, the paint can take up to 2 weeks to cure depending on the weather condition.
The Traditional Paint Company pure linseed oil paint can be applied to both horizontal and vertical surfaces both internally and externally. This paint is ideal for the decoration and protection of hard woods, soft woods, previously painted items, window frames doors, windowsills, external timber, fences, sheds, summer houses, timber cladding, garden furniture, timber structures plus many more
The Traditional Paint Company pure linseed oil paint is best applied by brush but can also be applied by medium pile roller. The paint has a theoretical coverage of 8m2 per litre per coat. Actual coverage can vary depending on the porosity and texture of the surface.
To prepare the substrate for painting first lightly abrade the surface to produce a key, blow away all dust then clean and degrease the surface ensuring it is free from any dirt loose particles or contamination. If applying over an existing painted surface abrade the surface to ensure all lose and flacking paint is removed and key produced, always trial a small test area to confirm compatibility between paint types.
Traditionally painters would applied a fine coat of pure boiled linseed oil first to increase the life span of the paint. This is an optionally priming coat as the paint will still be durable without this coat of pure boiled linseed oil also if this oil coat applied to thickly the paint coats applied may struggle to adhere to the surface.
The Traditional paint company waterborne linseed oil paint system would consist of minimum of 2 coats, on bare timber it is recommended that 3 coats applied 1 priming coat and 2 topcoats. Apply the paint to the prepared surface using a brush or medium pile roller allowing 24hour between coats. Once completed the paint will take around 2 weeks to fully cure weather dependent.
Take care with application materials and soiled rags as they may self-ignite without warning. Dispose of safely by lying flat and allowing to dry or clean with warm soapy water to avoid fire risks.
When applying the pure linseed oil to new uncoated woods, the first 2 coats need to be diluted ‘by eye’ with a genuine turpentine solvent, allowing the oil to penetrate. If necessary, the third coat is to then be applied neat.
- Oil based pure linseed oil
- Solvent free
- Water resistant
- Available in a large range of colours apart from vibrant bright colours Gloss finish Highly durable lasting Resistant to cracking and peeling
- Theoretical coverage of 8m2 per litre
- Can be used internally and externally
- Can be thinned by adding Linseed Oil but this will reduce opacity slightly. An original thinning method was to stand the tin of paint in a container of very hot water it can also be thinned with solvent – preferably Genuine Turpentine but this does reduce the solids content and also introduces flammability.
- Minimum of 2 coat
- Allow 24 hour between coats
- Full cure can take up to 2 weeks
- Take care with application materials and soiled rags as they may self-ignite without warning.
- Dispose of safely by lying flat and allowing to dry or clean with warm soapy water to avoid fire risks.
- Available in 5 Litre tins