Sherwin Williams Firetex M90 (Formerly Leighs) is a two pack, solvent free, thick film epoxy intumescent coating that provides passive hydrocarbon fire protection for up to 2.5 hours on structural steel, decks and bulkheads.
Firetex M90 is an exterior durable coating that is tested and approved for both pool and jet fire situations.
Firetex M90 has high resistance to moisture, alkali spillage, aliphatic solvents, weather, acid spillage, petroleum solvents and abrasion. Firetex M90 is recommended for use in LNG and cryogenic applications when applied as a duplex system using Firetex M89/02.
Firetex M90 has an extensive track record and has been used on gas compressor stations, Porvoo refinery, LNG vessels, natural gas power plants, refinery sphere legs, pipe racks, Gordorf Refinery, air traffic control towers, instrument pipe supports, wellheads, Yadana risers, platform repairs, bridge landings, onshore modules, underside decks, riser refurbishment, bearing plates, oil feed lines, rock wool encapsulation, duct supports, vessel skirts, skid units, airmail centres, control rooms, castings, jackets, vessel skirts and saddles, tanks, slug catchers and decks.
This product has been used by Nippon Oil & Exploration, Norsk Hydro, ExxonMobil, Shell, Dubai World, Qatar Gas, British Gas, Total, BP, PotashCorp, Amoco, Acro Trent, Phillips, Interoil and many more.
Application can be made via plural component spray (an application manual for this process can be given via our technical team), airless spray, trowel and preformed castings. Overcoating should take place within seven days of application of he previous coat of Firetex M90. If seven days is exceeded, mechanical abrading of the Firetex surface is required to ensure proper adhesion. Galvanised surfaces must be prepared according to SSPC SP-16 with a minimum surface profile of 1.0 mils followed by priming with Macropoxy 646 series at 2-5mils (50-125 microns) DFT. Surface must be clean, dry and in sound condition. Remove all oil, dust, grease, dirt, loose rust and other foreign material to ensure adequate adhesion. Refer to data sheets prior to use. Clean up can be done using Sherwin Williams Thinner No9
- BS476 Part 20 and 21 Appendix D - Hydrocarbon Pool Fire Testing
- Type Approved by Lloyds Register of Shipping
- Type Approved by Det Norsk Veritas
- Type Approved by American Bureau of Shipping
- Approved by Underwriters Laboratory to UL1709 (Design No XR622)
- BAM Vessel test reference 3.2/20023
- Resistant to blast overpressure
- NORSOK M501 Revision 5 System 5A
- IMO Resolution MSC61 (67) Annex 1, Part 2 - Toxicity Test
- Abrasion Resistance via ASTM D4060 : Wear Index 372
- Tensile Strength via ISO 527 : 17.4 MPa
- Coefficient of Thermal Expansion via ASTM E831 : 79.9µm / m°C
- Hardness via ASTM D2240 : 77 Shore D
- Volume Solids: 100% Mixed
- Pot Life: 45 minutes at 23°C
- Application temperature should be between 10°C to 55°C
- Relative Humidity: 85% maximum
- Drying Times: 5 hours at 10°C to touch, 5 hours - 7 days at 10°C to recoat
- Colour: Pale Blue (White base plus blue additive)
- Available in 20kg and 60kg units
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.