PPG SigmaFast 278 is a 2 component high solids rapid drying zinc phosphate epoxy primer and build coat that has been formulated to cure at low temperatures down to -5°C.
SigmaFast 278 also offers excellent corrosion resistance when exposed to atmospheric conditions. SigmaFast 278 is available in a limited range of MIO colours in a flat matt finish.
SigmaFast 278 is formulated for application to blast cleaned to ISO Sa2 1/2 steel although manual cleaning can be carried out with power tools. 278 is also suitable for application to galvanized steel providing it has been de-greased, any salts removed and the surface must also be keyed.
Any thinning must be by the addition of PPG Thinners 91-92 and application should be by airless spray though application by a solvent resistant mini roller is possible and due to the thixotropic nature of the paint application by brush may result in brush marks being evident.
As SigmaFast 278 is an epoxy coating and not a polyurethane if it is intended that the 278 is used as a finished top coat chalking and turning slightly yellow may result form UV degradation although this will not have any effect on the paints performance. Even if the paint has suffered from any yellowing due to the unlimited over coating time of the paint a UV stable top coat can be applied at a later date.
- ISO 12944-6 Systems For Steel - C3 High at 150 microns DFT
- ISO 12944-6 Systems For Steel - C4 High at 170 microns DFT
- ISO 12944-6 Systems For Steel - C4 High at 200 microns DFT
- ISO 12944-6 Systems For Steel - C5-I High at 200 microns DFT
- Epoxy Primer and Build Coat for protective coatings systems
- Wide application range
- Easy application by airless spray
- Speed curing in shop steel fabrication
- Good adhesion to steel and galvanised steel
- Excellent corrosion resistance in atmospheric exposure
- Pot life 1 hour at 20°C
- Cures at temperatures down to -5°C
- Theoretical coverage 6.4 m2 per litre at 125 microns
- Available in Cream, RAL 7035 Light Grey, Off White & Red Brown
- Available in 20 Litres
- Epoxies will yellow over time - this is more noticable in white and off white colours. This product is ideal for non cosmetic areas
|Type:||Zinc Phosphate Epoxy|
|Stock Colours:||Red Brown, Grey and a selected range of colours inc MIO|
|VOC Content:||230.0g per Litre|
|Suitable Substrates:||For steel, galvanized steel, primed steel|
|Application Method:||Brush, Roller, Air Atomised Spray or Airless Spray|
|Theoretical Coverage:||m2 per litre at microns|
|Wet Film Thickness (WFT):|
|Dry Film Thickness (DFT):||75 - 250 microns|
|Pot Life:||1 hour at 20°C|
|Touch Dry:||1 hour at 20°C|
|Overcoatable:||Maximum 2 hours at 20°C|
|Fully Cured:||3 days at 20°C|
|Cleaner / Thinner:|
|Shelf Life:||At least 24 months when stored cool and dry|
|Packaging:||Available in 20 Litres|
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.