Owatrol Primafloor is a one pack, polyurethane acrylic primer, available in clear for use on surfaces where you don't wish to change the natural effect of the wood.
Owatrol Primafloor works to ensure optimum performance of any finishing coat by providing excellent durability and a high performance finish, that adheres excellently to both the surface and the finishing coat.
- Polyurethane acrylic primer - Evens out the woods porosity
- Strengthens adhesion of the finish, ensuring optimum performance
- Prevents gluing of sides and joints by the finish - Allows floor boards to expand and contract
- Ready to use. Quick drying. Odourless
- Range of 6 colours plus Clear
- Light fast - Colours do not fade. Clear - Non yellowing
- Colours can be inter-mixed to achieve the desired look
- Prevents tannin bleed and staining of the finish from woods rich in tannins and natural oils
- Compatible with all types of waterborne floor varnish (1 pk and 2 pk)
- Colours can be mixed with OlÉofloor®*, Xylin* and VEGAFLOOR®*.
Owatrol Primafloor is also available in 6 hours, ideal for use on all new and unfinished or stripped wooden floors.
Surfaces must be dry, clean, free of dirt, grease and other surface contamination including previous coatings. Owatrol Primafloor can only be applied to bare wood surfaces. ALL other finishes MUST be completely and thoroughly removed.
Always clean meticulously with a vacuum cleaner after each sanding, including any dust traps (skirting, radiators, pipes, window sills, etc). Sand wooden floor using appropriate system and abrasive grades, depending on condition of surface and wood species. Use an edge sander for edges, a mechanical hand sander, chisel or scraper for corners. Cracks of 2 mm wide or less should be filled with Owatrol Lianfloor and sanding resumed with 80 or 100 grit paper depending on the last grit used. Finish with finishing grade up to grit No. 120 or 150 depending on the wood species and thickness of wear layer.
If required treat new or old bare wood with Owatrol TMU 84 to protect against fungal attack and blue stain prior to applying Owatrol Primafloor.
New Wood Surfaces:
Degrease surface with denatured alcohol, acetone or similar solvent based product. Prepare and sand surface as instructed in “General Directions” above.
Previously treated surfaces (oiled or polished):
Previously oiled or polished surfaces should be dry stripped with Owatrol CDKP 90. After stripping degrease surface with with denatured alcohol, acetone, white (mineral) spirit or similar solvent based product. Prepare and sand surface as instructed in “General Directions” above.
Previously coated surfaces (varnish, paint, stain):
Remove existing finish by sanding or stripping with Owatrol CDKP 90. After stripping degrease surface with with denatured alcohol, acetone, white (mineral) spirit or similar solvent based product. Prepare and sand surface as instructed in “General Directions” above.
Facing the light and starting opposite the door so as to work towards it. Apply an even and generous coat of Owatrol Primafloor ensuring a uniform level of timber saturation to avoid colour variation. Always maintain a wet edge to avoid overlaps.
Start with a brush at the edges, then do the remaining surface working in areas of 2 m by 2 m. Allow to dry for 2 hours depending on the ambient conditions. For exotic hardwoods or woods high in tannins a 2nd coat of Owatrol Primafloor may be applied. This provides a greater seal against tannin staining and bleed. To accentuate a colour a 2nd coat may be applied 2-8 hours after the 1st coat.
Surface and Environment
Owatrol Primafloor can be used on a wide variety of flooring and wooden surfaces, enhancing the substrates natural performance and maintaining the appearance for a long period. when used on exotic hardwoods, Primafloor isolates the finish and protects from the possibility of tannin staining, which is more common in these types of woods.
- Strengthens the adhesion of the finish, guaranteeing better performance.
- Prevents gluing of sides and joints by the finish.
- Ready to use. Quick drying. Odourless.
- Range of 6 colours plus Clear.
- Light fast, colours do not fade.
- Available in clear.
- Non yellowing.
- Colours can be inter-mixed to achieve the desired colour.
- Prevents tannin bleed from those woods rich in tannins and natural oils.
- Compatible with all types of waterborne floor varnish (1pk and 2pk).
- Colours can be mixed with Oleofloor, Xylin and Vegafloor.
- Priming of wooden floors before the application of any type of waterborne varnish.
- Evens out the woods porosity thus strengthening adhesion and ensuring optimum performance of the finish.
- Isolates the finish from tannin staining especially in the case of exotic hardwoods.
- Prevent gluing of sides and joints, allowing the boards to expand and contract.
WHERE TO USE
- New unfinished and stripped wooden floors, staircases.
- Wooden flooring, parquet and veneered (engineered) flooring.
- Compatible with all wood species including exotic hardwoods. (see recommendations in technical data sheet for Beech. Maple, Cherry and Bamboo).
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.