Smartkote EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer is a two pack, easy-to-use, low viscosity primer suitable for all polyurethane topcoats.
Smartkote EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer cures to provide exceptional adhesion to a variety of substrates, with the flexibility required for urethane. It provides a cost-effective coverage rate and a fast drying time even at low temperatures.
EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer is ideal for concrete, plaster, metals, wood, stone and existing coatings. EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer has minimal solvent content and low odour suitable for interior spaces. EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer contains zinc to inhibit metal corrosion.
- Suitable for interior and exterior use.
- Can be applied to: metal, concrete, wood, fibre-glass, PVC and previously painted surfaces.
- Used with urethane coatings on walkways, open areas and flat concrete roofs.
- Provides the flexibility required for flexible topcoats and substrates.
- Shows exceptional adhesion to metals as well as green or damp concrete. Its zinc content inhibits corrosion.
Ensure all substrates are thoroughly dry, clean, sound and free from any contaminants such as dirt, rust, salt, algae and grease. EP90 Universal Epoxy Primer exhibits good adhesion to all porous substrates and most non-porous substrates with the exception of certain types of aluminium and stainless steel.
- Steel: Abrade surface lightly and remove any surface rust or mill scale by sanding, wire brushing, with a chipping hammer or sandblasting. A rust converter may be necessary for rust that can’t all be removed.
- Galvanized Iron: Clean away grease and dirt with a suitable galvanized iron cleaner until a water break-free surface is attained. Rinse well with water and allow to dry.
- Aluminum: Abrade to fresh metal, clean well using detergent. Prime with Protectakote 2K Metal Primer as per instructions within 30 minutes.
- Concrete: Allow new concrete at least 7 days to cure. Non-porous cement must be acid-etched, rinsed well and dried
- Wood: Abrade, clean and allow to completely dry before applying.
- Fibre-glass: Abrade well, solvent wipe with xylene and apply.
- PVC: Abrade and clean well using xylene. Allow to dry before applying.
- Glazed tiles: Glazed tiles must be cleaned and treated with an organosilane primer e.g. Protectakote Clear Primer Treatment. This primer is not suitable for glazed tiles.
- Gloss Paints and Varnish: Abrade with a scouring pad or medium grit sandpaper to remove all gloss. Solvent wipe with xylene, allow to dry and apply directly.
- Ferrous metals: Remove heavy dirt and rust. Use a rust converter for rust that cannot be removed. Sand lightly, clean thoroughly and apply.
- Stone: clean thoroughly with soapy water. Brush with a wire brush. Solvent wipe and apply once dry.
Open Part A and stir gently for 1 minute or until homogenised. Open Part B and pour the contents into the product in the Part A tin. Stir mixture for 2 minutes or until well homogenised. (Optional) Pour mixture into paint trays, separating mixture into parts according to the number of workers present.
Paint a single, thin coat onto the substrate, spreading out the material as much as possible without missing any areas. Clean the equipment. Allow unused material to cool for 2 hours before disposing of in normal waste to land fill site.
|VOC Content:||<70 g/L|
|Suitable Substrates:||For steel, Galvanized Iron, Aluminium, Concrete, Wood, Fibreglass, PVC, Glazed Tiles, Ferrous Metals, Stone|
|Theoretical Coverage:||6 - 8 m2 per litre|
|Wet Film Thickness (WFT):||150 microns|
|Dry Film Thickness (DFT):|
45 - 60 minutes at 20°C
Normally it takes 10 minutes to cover a square meter, so if using a 4L pack it may require two people painting simultaneously..
|Overcoatable:||After 4 hours at 20°C|
|Cleaner / Thinner:||Xylene|
2 years unopened. Store indoors at 5 to 35ºC
|Packaging:||Available in 1 Litre tins|
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.