Sherwin Williams Firetex FX1003 is a single pack, thin film 120 minutes intumescent coating designed for site application via airless spray onto structural steel.
FIRETEX FX1003 is designed for site application by airless spray, to provide fire resistance for up to 120 minutes on structural steel. After appropriate drying, FIRETEX FX1003 specifications can be exposed to the weather for up to 6 months provided that the specific use does not lead to ponding water due to rainfall, condensation or other site circumstances. FIRETEX FX1003 can resist normal weather conditions for up to 6 months without topcoat provided it has had appropriate drying prior to exposure. Once an approved topcoat has been applied as appropriate to the prevailing conditions, then durability will be substantially enhanced. If the specific use or storage could lead to prolonged contact with water due to rainfall, condensation, or other site/transportation/storage circumstances, then a recommended topcoat must be used to prevent damage to the basecoat.
Recommended application via airless spray or brush. For certain dry, internal situations where the final colour / appearance is not critical, then FIRETEX FX1003 may remain
un-topcoated. For externally exposed steelwork up to C4 and severe internal environments Acrolon C137V2 or Acrolon C237 must be used as a topcoat. For other internal environments
where a topcoat is required then FIRETEX M71V2 or Sher-Cryl M770 should be used. In all instances for subsequent re-decoration, use FIRETEX M71V2, Sher-Cryl M770, Acrolon C137V2 or Acrolon C237 as appropriate. FIRETEX FX1003 is designed for use over a suitably prepared and primed substrate. Ensure surfaces to be coated are clean, dry and free from all surface contamination. Under certain circumstances it may be possible to apply FIRETEX FX1003 directly to steel blast cleaned to a minimum standard of Sa2½ BS EN ISO 8501-1:2001, surface profile in the range 50-100 microns. FIRETEX FX1003 is capable of withstanding external exposure without topcoat providing:
• The product is allowed to dry for at least 24 hours at 15°C in dry conditions with good air movement and ventilation. These conditions are based on a total dry film thickness of up to 800 microns. The drying time required will be increased if the film thickness is greater than 800 microns.
• The substrate temperature is at least 3°C above the dew point at the time of application and during the drying period.
- Certifire Approved – Certificate CF5077
- This product has been assessed in accordance with the Criteria of Acceptability given in the ASFP/BCF Industry Guidance Document
- This product has been tested and assessed in accordance with the ASFP firetesting protocol for cellular beam protection. See Section 6.3 from ASFP Yellow Book 4th Edition
- Drying Times: 1 hour to touch at 15°C, 4 hours at 15°C to recoat
- Available in White
- Available in 20 Litres
The manufacturers data sheets are available for download from this website. It is your responsibility to read and understand all aspects of the data sheets before you place an order and prior to application. Please pay special attention to the preparation, mixing and application temperatures of the product, cleaning of substrate and environmental factors such as temperature, rain etc. Quoted coverage rates are based on the manufacturers theoretical rates and may vary depending upon substrates absorption, texture and application. We always recommend a test is carried out to ensure suitability.
Customer further agrees that Promain have no liability for any errors or omissions contained within the Product Data Sheets and are not liable for failure due to misapplication or inadequate substrate cleaning and preparation. For more information please refer to our Terms & Conditions.